Polypropylene is the world’s second-most widely used synthetic plastic. This versatile thermoplastic polymer can be used to produce a broad spectrum of products, such as laboratory equipment, carts, cabinets, racks, and fixtures. The material is made by combining multiple propylene monomers, which is where it gets its name. Polypropylene is also easy to recycle, making it not only a malleable material, but also ideal for the course of the future. At Pro-Fab we have 30 years of experience working with polypropylene, and are the experts at fabricating custom designs no matter the size or quantity.
Advantages of Polypropylene
Polypropylene is an invaluable material for creating equipment, carts, cabinets, fixtures, and more as it’s highly adaptable and functions as both a plastic and fiber. Other benefits and advantages of polypropylene are:
- Elasticity and Toughness: Polypropylene will act with elasticity over a certain range of deflection, but it will also experience plastic deformation early on in the process, so it is generally considered a “tough” material. The toughness and flexibility make it comparable to HDPE, also known as High-density polyethylene which is a thermoplastic polymer.
- Chemical Resistance: Diluted bases and acids don’t react readily with polypropylene, making it a good choice as a container for cleaning agents, first-aid products, and more.
- Fatigue Resistance: Polypropylene retains its shape after extended bending and flexing. This property is especially valuable for making things like living hinges.
- Insulation: Polypropylene has a very high resistance to electricity and is useful for electronic components.
- Transmissivity: Although it is normally produced to be naturally opaque in color, Polypropylene can be made transparent. Polypropylene can be used for fabrications where some transfer of light is important or where it is of aesthetic value. However, if high transmissivity is desired, then plastics like acrylic or polycarbonate are better choices.
Contact Pro-Fab for Polypropylene Fabricated Products
Pro-Fab offers custom fabricated polypropylene products. With 30 years of experience, we have the technical and manufacturing expertise to produce custom fabricated polypropylene products for you. Pro-Fab uses the latest technologies and highest quality standards, supported by superior customer service to provide each customer with a finished product that meets or exceeds expectations—all from our shop in Bosque Farms, New Mexico! Explore some of our previous designs, and if you don’t see exactly what you are looking for, contact us to create a customized design to suit your facility!